Friday 24 July 2015

Book Review: The Darkest Minds

'The Darkest Minds' by Alexandra Bracken

Rating: 4 stars 


The Darkest Minds grew on me slowly, from being vaguely intriguing becoming outright amazing in the final third of the novel. It was worth the wait. 

It was so easy to fall into the setting. The characters were well developed well beyond romantic relationships and all had different beliefs and priorities that I feel many protagonists of the genre lack - each with their own path, inspired by believable and realistic motives.

I rarely care for the male lead in novels, and yet Liam was a splendid exception to this. He was not a romantic plot device. He, alongside the other characters were completely three-dimensional and aided in driving the plot forward into a complex and multi-layered story that I cannot wait to continue.

Find this review on Goodreads

--Helia

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I love this series so much (I even wrote it a love letter on my blog!). I agree, Bracken's characters are just stellar. Over the course of the series Ruby has become one of my favorite heroines (it's kinda hard to pinpoint why, but her voice is so honest and she is this great balance of vulnerable and strong). And her secondary characters are so well fleshed out! You'll even meet a new one next book that I didn't know how attached to I would become, but of course I did. And LIAM. That boy is an angel. What I wrote about him: "He restores faith in humanity in a society that has been ravaged first by disease, but then by doubt, fear, and selfishness." Eeeep, you have so much to look forward to in the rest of the series! I really should reread it soon.
    - Lina @ Every Book a World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! This post was scheduled for when I was on holiday so I only saw your comment now. I'm currently reading and loving Never Fade. I shouldn't have put it off for so long! The characters are so interesting and I'm looking forward to reading more. :)

      Delete