Friday 9 October 2015

Favourite Books by Genre (part 2)

Last week I wrote mini reviews for 5 of my favourite books in 5 different genres. This week I have 5 more that are aimed at younger audiences, but are still just as brilliant.

Children's: 'Wonder' by R.J. Palacio
I wrote a review of 'Wonder' which you can find here.
I cannot believe it took me so long to read this book. I would have loved this when I was younger - which is why I made my younger siblings read it too.
'Wonder' tells the story of August - a ten year old boy with facial abnormalities who must go to school for the first time. This is a beautiful read that reflects the behaviours of children accurately - showing how they can be horribly cruel as well as wonderfully kind. Palacio understands how children think and behave better than any other children's literature author I have read, and uses the voices of Auggie as well as the other people in his life to paint a beautiful picture of the different types of people in this world and how we all must "choose kind."


Fantasy: 'The Dream Thieves' by Maggie Stiefvater
I wrote a review of 'The Raven Boys' (the first book in 'The Raven Cycle') which you can find here.
I also wrote a recommendation post for the whole series, which you can find here.
This was by far the most difficult to choose, mainly because the fantasy genre is one of my favourites. Having said that, a lot can go wrong in fantasy. There are so many elements required in order to make it a success, and although 'The Dream Thieves' does not have all of them, I really enjoyed it.
The book picks up where 'The Raven Boys' left off, and is one of the few sequels I find better than its predecessor. The magic of the world Stiefavter created only grew, and the overall tone was darker and more exciting. The characters are complex and only become more loveable as we learn more about their insecurities and as their relationships develop. There aren't many magical worlds I would want to be a part of, but the elements of friendship and adventure in this series make me long to be a part of this one.

Humour: 'Grace's Guide: The Art of Pretending to be a Grown-Up' by Grace Helbig
Normally I do not find funny books to be particularly engaging, let alone autobiographies, but Grace Helbig will always make me laugh. Her guide book to adulthood provides questionable life advice with rediculous acronyms to help you remember them, and somehow in the mess of disasters I felt unexpectedly motivated to make the most of living.


Realistic Fiction: 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbosky
I found this book so heartbreaking and moving that I struggle to write much about it.
'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' is a beautiful coming of age novel about a boy who lives on the sidelines of high school life. Seeing everything but saying nothing, Charlie writes letters filled with his complicated thoughts on growing up and navigating life.


Romance: 'Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe' by Benjamin Alire Sรกenz
I cheated a little here, because I wouldn't really consider 'Aristotle and Dante' to be a romance. Instead it is a lyrically written coming of age story about two boys who see the world in completely different ways. Even though they seem to have nothing in common, they develop a special friendship where they learn to accept themselves and each other.


Do any of your favourites overlap with mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment