Tuesday 31 May 2016

Ms. Marvel, Vol 3 // a bit of a let down


Title: Ms. Marvel, Vol 3: Crushed
Writer: G. Willow Wilson
Genre: Graphic Novel, Superheroes
Rating: 2 stars
Goodreads | Book Depository
I'm going to keep this review quick: this was my least favourite volume so far, for 3 reasons.

As the title suggests, Crushed is a very romance oriented volume. What I've liked about this series so far is it's plot and messages, but this volume felt like it lacked any story.



What also bothered me were the ties to the wider comic universe. Initially the links to other Marvel characters really helped push forward the story, but now it feels like they're just being thrown in for the sake of it to get readers into reading other comics. What was Loki's purpose in this story at all? Nothing. He was there for no reason. I know I'm new to comics, but I found this extremely irritating.

The thing that really got to me was the intensity of the Muslim family stereotype. From reading other reviews I've seen readers pity Kamala - and that's not the message such a progressive comic series should be putting across at all. Balance between cultural identity is difficult, but it shouldn't be treated like an obstacle. Faith is not a barrier against how people choose to live their lives.

I still will be reading the next volume, because I really did enjoy the first two. I hope to find it with a story that was as fun as the first two volumes with fewer comic links, fewer insulting stereotypes and more plot to get excited over again.
Diversity Note: Pakistani Muslim protagonist

No comments:

Post a Comment