Sunday 1 May 2016

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater // utterly magnificent


Title: The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Mythology
Warnings: mentions of past child abuse, blood, death
Rating: 5 stars
Goodreads Review | Book Depository
Oh wow. This took my breath away. I have not been able to stop thinking about it since I finished it last night. My mind keeps wandering back to Henrietta and the magic that I'm leaving behind.

The Raven King has consumed my every waking thought for good reason. It was my most anticipated release of the year, and now that it's over I'm not quite sure how to move on.



No one, and I mean no one, has been able to make me connect to their characters in the way that Maggie Stiefvater has. The way Blue loves her raven boys? I feel the same way. They are so beautiful. Their friendship is so beautiful. Everything about this series screams beauty. I've used that word in each individual review for the books in this series, because that's simply what it is, without question.

Sometimes I found myself stopping at a sentence, having to read it over and over again because of the magnificent way the words are strung together. Stiefvater just has a way with words that no one can compare to.

The story? What can I say? There were unexpected twists and turns that had me putting the book down just to catch my breath. It wasn't perfect. I won't pretend like it was. But it was the best sort of imperfection. I wouldn't change a word.

This was everything I wanted from the finale of my favourite series. I laughed, I cried, I was filled with sadness and with joy. They say all good things must come to an end, but god, I wish they didn't.


Diversity Note: gay, bisexual, and Korean-Chinese protagonists.

No comments:

Post a Comment