Saturday 26 November 2016

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo // a fab conclusion to the series


Title: Ruin and Rising (The Grisha #3)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Genre: Fantasy
Warnings: abusive relationships
Rating: 3 stars
Add to Goodreads
I enjoyed this trilogy far more than I ever expected to.

In Ruin and Rising the characters were stronger than ever and were truly the driving force of the story. I became incredibly attached to Alina in particular because of how she constantly edges between good and evil and how she deals with her self doubt. What I found really interesting in this book was the concept of Alina's sainthood and how people were so willing to follow her because of the hope she created, regardless of how she perceived herself.

The Darkling was as creepy as ever, and Nikolai just as precious. I can't say I was ever a fan of Mal, but what Bardugo did with him in this book was very interesting and he no longer felt like an entirely useless character. But I still hate him for the fact that he only wanted to be with the old Alina and couldn't accept that she was more herself than she ever was before.

The plot's twists and turns were almost as addictive as Six of Crows (but not quite), but I have to admit the final chapter and the aftermath fell short of my expectations. If it had ended only a few pages sooner I think it would've left a bigger impact on me, but now I find the enticing and action packed middle and end sections that I adored fading to just the memory of those final pages.

Ultimately, I enjoyed this series far more than I expected and I'm quite sad my Grisha journey has come to a close. I foresee a reread of this trilogy in my future, but not nearly as many rereads I foresee for the Six of Crows duology.

No comments:

Post a Comment