Tuesday 10 January 2017

2016 Releases I Still Need to Read

Top 10 Tuesday is hosted by the Broke and the Bookish.
With all the amazing releases of 2016, I found I ended up missing out on a lot of them. Hopefully I don't get too caught up in 2017 releases, because here are 8 books published last year that I still need to read.


1. Grace & Style by Grace Helbig
I got this book at Grace's book signing all the way back in January - and I have yet to read it! Her first book was so funny and the style of this one seems very similar so I'm saving it for a rainy day.

2. The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry
I just love a nice cover, okay? This sounds like a cutesy sci-fi and I'm really interested to see how it turns out because those are normally not two things I asociate together.

3. Whisper to Me by Nick Lake
I bought this at YALC mainly because of the pretty cover, but I read somewhere that it's about mental illness which is not something I read about often, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

4. Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente
I need to read more Sci-Fi and this sounds like a great place to start. I requested an e-ARC so I feel super bad that I haven't read it yet - but soon.


5. False Hearts by Laura Lam
Another Sci-Fi that sounds absolutely fantastic. I've already read Pantomime by Lam and loved it so much, but this book sounds much more up my street so I'm excited.

6. Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet by Charlie N. Holmberg
I requested an e-ARC and I don't really know what it's about *covers face in shame*. But it's about magic and cakes so I can't see how it could go wrong.

7. Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas
I have mixed feelings about this series in that I defintiely want to continue it but I'm not obsessed like half the internet are. But I loveloveloved the ending of the last book so I have high hopes.

What books released in 2016 do you still need to get your hands on? Are they sitting on your shelf or have you yet to buy them?

8 comments:

  1. Empire of Storm is on my to-read list. I'm planning to catch up to in this series (I'm only on the second book). The series is so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my favourite series but I do really enjoy it! The books do take a while for me to get through, but I think the series is getting better and better :D

      Delete
  2. I love your rainbow book stack picture at the beginning of this post. So pretty.

    And the cover for Whisper To Me is gorgeous! I'm off to read about a few of these books so I can add some to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I know - Whisper to Me was a total cover buy. If you end up reading any of these books I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  3. The Love that Split the World was actually really good. There was a bit of negative buzz around it (I think that the author doesn't represent some facts correctly) but I still really enjoyed the writing and the premise. Like you pointed out, sci-fi and romance aren't usually paired together.

    Also, Empire of Storms is high atop my list, and one that I plan to get to soon. Although another part of me wants to reread the series in its entirety first, ending with Empire of Storms right before the sixth book releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! I can forgive some scientific inaccuracy if the book itself is enjoyable, and the premise sounds really interesting despite the unusual pairing.

      I also need to get to Empire of Storms soon - I think I'm put off by the size because I was obsessed with the ending of the last book. I'm also tempted to reread the whole series again but I'll probably only do it if my TBR decreases because there are too many books I need to be reading!

      Delete
  4. Whisper to Me is a really underrated book. At first I thought it was going to be a light, fluffy read to pass time because the cover is so cute; but it's actually really deep and quite insightful. Since you don't read much about mental health problems I think this will be a really great book for you. Nick Lake addressed the issues beautifully and makes the reader understand what's happening while also giving important information about the methods being used for treatment.

    I hope you'll get around to reading it soon, it's so worth it!

    Nihaad | Read & Seek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need some deep insightful books in my life! I agree, mental health is something I really need to read more about, but I'm always so scared in case it's done wrong. But I'm glad you say treatment is mentioned, often I see YA's romanticise mental illness and let the characters wallow in it which is a super unhealthy message to be giving young teens.

      Thank you, thanks to your positive comments I'm definitely reading it soon!

      Delete