Tuesday 20 February 2018

Latest Love // Teen Titans

Latest Love is a series of posts where I talk about a recent obsession. This could be a bookish obsession or otherwise - anything that has been making me happy recently that I feel like sharing. The important thing about this feature is that it isn't a review. This is just a way of me expressing a few reasons why I like something, and maybe find some more people to talk about it with. 😊

This month's latest love is Teen Titans. After finishing Young Justice and obsessing over it in this post I needed more young superheroes in my life. Plus one of my favourite artists Picolo drew a lot of fantastic art of the characters in casual dress which you can find on his Instagram, and it made me really want to get to know the characters.


Teen Titans focuses on five young heroes: Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, and Beast Boy. The characters are a little wacky but so distinct, and it's difficult not to fall in love with them from the very first episode. I adore good team dynamics, and the relationships between the characters are so sweet that I couldn't help but find a couple of new ships.


What is really unique about this show is that the civilian lives of the characters are never acknowledged, which means the focus of the show feels very different to others of the superhero genre. The main storyline of each season focuses on one character, and the formula works so well, because for every season that character becomes my favourite. Even though on the surface they seem to be ordinary teenage superheroes, each of them has their own secrets and insecurities.


The series has a lot of similarities to Young Justice, but a slightly lighter tone. There is a mix of serious episodes and funny episodes and I love how the animation can flip from bubbly to dark so quickly. I definitely prefer the darker episodes because there is a lot more plot and drama, which is at times soul crushing. Betrayal is a trope I love and this show does it so well and Slade (aka Deathstroke) is one of my favourite villains because of how creepy and manipulative he is. Plus the series finale broke my heart, but it was the most perfectly imperfect ending.


What is your latest love? Do you have any favourite animated shows or TV shows in general? Are you a fan of the DC comics or movies or shows?

All gifs are from Giphy (1, 2, 3)

4 comments:

  1. This show sounds great! I don't watch many TV shows but it seems like a cool thing to check out when I do get a bit more time. I admit that I haven't ventured far into the DC comics section of the library yet... It's so difficult for me to find the first volume of a comic I actually want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth checking out! It's quite young but it's fun and an easy watch. I also haven't read any DC comics yet. I like their TV shows and love their animated shows Teen Titans and Young Justice, but my knowledge of DC is limited to that and the Wonder Woman movie. I keep considering it but with a big franchise like that it's difficult to know where to start, let alone find the first volume in the library!

      Delete
  2. Hehe I have never watched this series! However, my younger sister who is a superhero fangirl, has told me how good this show is and how much she loves it. I am glad you could love it this much too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really great light and easy watch - until it gets dark occasionally haha. Your sister sounds great! I'm picky when it comes to the superhero genre (I have only read one comic series) but Teen Titans is something I knew instantly that I'd be sticking with. Thanks!

      Delete